Chinese Name: 夫子庙
English Name: Confucius Temple; Temple of Confucius; Fu Zi Miao; the Temple of King Wenxuan
Location: Nanjing, Jiangsu
Type: Ancient culture and art
Rating Level: AAAAA (5A)
The Temple of Confucius is located in Qinhuai District 秦淮区, Nanjing 南京. It is located in the core area of the Temple of Confucius Qinhuai Scenic Belt, namely, Nanjing Confucius Temple, and the Temple of King Wenxuan 文宣王庙. It is a place for worshiping Confucius 孔子. It is the first national highest school in China, one of the four Confucian temples in China, a place of ancient Chinese culture hub, and a place of Jinling 金陵 historical talents. It is not only the cultural and educational center of Nanjing during the Ming and Qing Dynasties but also a cultural and educational building group ranking first in southeast provinces.
The Temple of Confucius is a group of grand ancient buildings, mainly composed of the Temple of Confucius, School Palace 学宫, and Gongyuan(a place for taking examinations in ancient times) 贡院, covering a large area. There are many buildings, such as the pool, memorial archway, Juxing Pavilion 聚星亭, Kuixing Pavilion 魁星亭, Lingxing Gate 棂星门, Dacheng Hall 大成殿, Mingde Hall 明德堂, and Zunjing Pavilion 尊经阁.
Confucius Temple is known as the scenic spot of the Qinhuai River and has become the characteristic landscape area of the ancient capital Nanjing. From the Six Dynasties to the Ming and Qing Dynasties, aristocratic families gathered in the vicinity, and so has the theory of “Six Dynasties Golden Powder”. It is the largest traditional ancient street city in China. Together with Chenghuang Temple in Shanghai 城隍庙, Xuanmiao Temple in Suzhou 玄妙观, and Beijing Overpass 天桥, it is one of the four major downtown cities in China. It is also a famous open national AAAAA tourist attraction and international tourist attraction in China.
What are worth visiting and seeing？
The Qinhuai River 秦淮河 is the origin of the ancient Nanjing culture, while the Inner Qinhuai River is 4.2 kilometers long along the banks of the river from the east head to the west water pass. It has been a place where prominent families have lived together since the Six Dynasties, where merchants gathered, scholars gathered, and Confucianism flourished.
The Temple of Confucius was built in the third year of Xiankang咸康 in the Eastern Jin Dynasty 东晋 (337). According to the proposal of Wang Dao 王导, “the most important thing in governing the country is to cultivate talents”, the Imperial College was established on the south bank of the Qinhuai River; In the first year of Jingyou in the Northern Song Dynasty (1034), the Eastern Jin Academy was moved to the north of Qinhuai River, and a temple was built in front of the Academy to worship Confucius.
In the Southern Song Dynasty, the Temple of Confucius was burned by fire and rebuilt in 1139; In Xianfeng 咸丰, it was destroyed by war again, and rebuilt in the eighth year of Tongzhi 同治(1869); The Temple of Confucius was destroyed four times, and built five times. The last time was during the war of aggression against China in 1937. After 1984, it was successively repaired and rebuilt. In 1991, it was rated as the “Top 40 Tourist Attractions in China”.
Wuyi Lane 乌衣巷 is located dozens of meters southwest of the Temple of Confucius. It is a quiet and narrow lane. This place was originally the location of Wu Wuyi Camp of the Three Kingdoms, hence its name. To commemorate Wang Dao and Xie An 谢安, Laiyan Hall was built on the east of Wuyi Lane. The building is simple and elegant, with portraits of Wang Dao and Xie An hanging in the hall. These tourists kept coming, and it became a place to admire the famous figures of the Eastern Jin Dynasty and express their feelings about the past.
The famous poem “Wuyi Lane” written by Liu Yuxi 刘禹锡, a great poet of the Tang Dynasty, is just a sign of this place. There is an ancient well called Wuyi Well in Wuyi Lane. It is said that it was dug in the Eastern Wu Dynasty for the garrison to drink. Twelve rope marks at the good fence show the millennium vicissitudes it has experienced.
Food Street 食品街 was built in 1997 with a total investment of 150 million yuan. It is located at the south end of Temple, starting from Pingjiangfu Road in the east and ending at Laiyan Road in the west. The buildings are of different shapes, and the height is well arranged. The green bricks and small tiles, and the powder walls and sloping houses are simple and elegant, which are integrated with the ancient buildings of Confucius Temple. The interior facilities are first-class and modern.
The antique granite pavement is inlaid with colored square bricks on both sides. The diamond-shaped flower beds, winding corridors, garden-style squares, and classical low-frame street lamps create a warm and elegant atmosphere. A number of well-known catering and entertainment enterprises are located along the street, bringing together fine food products at home and abroad.
Nanjing Confucius Temple (Fuzimiao) – Nanjing City, China
You might be interested in: